Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Misguided Effort On The Internet

     I recently decided to try "Google+" Google's new "facebook" essentially. All went fairly well, finding a photo for my profile, adding friends to follow, and so on. It was going swimmingly until I made it to my main hub. The home screen if you will. You see, if you don't have enough friends, Google+ will automatically populate your page with things that are "trending" on Google+.

     This was one such post CLICKY DEH LINK

     All Well and good, accept for the small fact that it sent me into an outright tizzy. Jake has his head in the right place. His end goal/mission statement, is one I can get behind. ...Maybe it's inherent to the internet. Maybe Jake didn't have time to put forth a well thought and respectful statement. But somehow or another Jake came off very self aggrandizing. Snobbish even. Jake is not alone in this though. (I'm sure as the months wear on, you'll likely notice that I have the same problem.) It's the internet populace that I have the problems with. (so lets not trash poor Jake too hard)

 Lets start with his post, as it is the example that led me to posting this.
"Food that is processed, man-made, and fabricated isn't eaten by animals..."
     In a certain sense, I really do see what he's doing. It is a part of the "Tell a man that there are 1,876,234,564.7 stars in the night sky, he'll believe you instantly. Tell a man that paint is wet or his plate is hot, however..." theory of mine. The statement he makes, only seems true. Due to the fact that it is far more easy to believe, than to test. It is made all the easier by the "photo evidence." (I'm not here to tell you about how misleading photos can be, just do a quick google for "can I trust before and after photos.")
"Next time you think about spending a few bucks on fast food, try buying some groceries, and putting that money towards a healthy home-cooked meal."
      Again, I'm all for the message, but the wording is where he loses me. The internet is just littered with people espousing statements like this one. Almost all of them are filled with assumptions, presumptions, and disdain.

Using Jake's statement as an example.
          "Next time" "think about" "few bucks" "fast food" "try" "healthy home-cooked meal"

      They are all used in a diminutive sense. As if to say "I have the means and the know how to go to whole foods. To buy expensively organic. To then take them to my home, where I will then eat healthy... so why don't the rest of you do that. I mean its SO SIMPLE."
      Jake, and really the whole internet, has fallen prey to assuming everyone in the world has the same feelings, thoughts, and outlook that "They" do. (not even mentioning the extra income needed, or HOUSE for that matter) What about people that have a half hour for lunch. People that have no home. People that don't live near "healthy grocery" stores. People who enjoy fast food. What about them Jake/internet?

      It feels to me as though there are enough people on the internet trying to sway peoples opinions to their own. So I have decided that I am going to try not to do the same. I'm going to try living to let die. Going to try letting the people who surf the net reach their own conclusions, and furthermore, doing with it what THEY want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment